Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast that leaves you with tender meat, vegetables and a built in gravy to enjoy them all with in just 15 minutes of prep! Perfect weeknight dinner!
Ultimate Slow Cooker Pot Roast
4-5 pound chuck roast
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 pound carrots peeled and cut into 2″ chunks
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
2 cloves garlic minced
2 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons cold water
Minced parsley optional, to garnish
- Season the chuck roast with the Kosher salt, pepper and thyme (if you are sensitive to sodium, adjust to your taste or you can even leave the salt out altogether since you’re adding broth).
- Heat your pan (or if you can brown in your slow cooker, do it in that insert to medium high.
- Add the canola oil and when it ripples and is hot add in the roast and brown, deeply, for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- In your slow cooker add the carrots, potatoes and garlic.
- Lay the beef on top, then add the beef broth and cover, cooking on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
- In the last hour mix your cornstarch and water and add it to the slow cooker to thicken the sauce or you can take the food out when done cooking, and add the leftover liquid to a small saucepan with the cornstarch/water mixture and cook on high for just 2-3 minutes until the liquid is thickened into a gravy.
- Pour the gravy over the meat and garnish with parsley if desired.
Use this to create the perfect weeknight meal you can make with little effort the morning of or even prep the night before!